Lead Designer - £45-50k, based in Surrey
Now seeking to appoint a proven Designer to join a rapidly growing contemporary furniture and homewares brand consisting of furniture (indoor and outdoor living), lighting, accessories and more….. The company, based in Surrey, offers the best in modern, innovative, stylish collections that are always created and manufactured with quality in mind. As a business we pride ourselves on our culture of excellence throughout and place our team at the heart of that ethos. We pride ourselves on our culture of excellence, our team are at the heart of that ethos. We are passionate about our staff being encouraged to succeed, develop and thrive.
This is a Lead Designer position, focused on designing and developing contemporary, innovative, affordable products to launch into target growth categories. Working within our product team, you will be responsible for contemporary furniture; developing concepts and products; working with the development team to take things from initial concept through to samples and final pieces. Currently with one direct report, and this team is growing with new talent at a more junior level appointed as growth plans are realized.
This position is for an experienced, creative and commercial designer who is able to generate the volume and quality required for the retail sector across multiple categories. As the lead designer you will be responsible for the overall output of the team. This will involve accountability relating to the design phase of the critical path and delivery of key deadlines.
- As the department head you will be ultimately responsible for ensuring that output is both timely and of the required standard so that briefs submitted for development have all the necessary detail and full specification
- Product categories covered are upholstery, bedroom, mirrors, dining, lighting, cabinetry and outdoor. As the department lead you will be responsible for design spanning across all categories, working with the team to generate the required level of new output
- A key element of this role is taking ownership of the design phase within the critical path, being able to project manage work and priorities accordingly
- Leadership and management of one other designer (with team growth planned), overseeing work flows and prioritization
- As well as managing the team this is a very hands on role, generating a high volume of quality work in keeping with the retail market
- You will be required to collaborate on the direction of new product ranges, working with the Head of Brand to take direction and interpret ideas for new ranges
- It’s essential to this role that you are able to communicate across multiple departments; working directly with category buyers, technologists and developers
- The successful candidate must have a proven track record in furniture, with particular emphasis on products for the retail market
- The individual must be able to multi task whilst, keeping to the critical path whilst still maintaining a high level of attention to detail
- This role requires a confident but collaborative approach, working within a dynamic team with the emphasis on open communication
Skills and Experience required for the role:
- Experience in a similar role
- Experience of an in-house / manufacturing environment with exposure to supplier liaison and manufacturing processes
- Must possess a relevant Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in Product, Industrial Design or Engineering
- Experience within a furniture orientated role at mid-senior level
- Good commercial awareness and the ability to work with commercial pricing parameters and discuss value engineering where required
- Strong knowledge of furniture construction, materials, finishes, structural and performance properties
- AutoCAD and Solid Edge (or similar 3D modelling) is essential, with the Adobe Creative Suite beneficial
- Good freehand drawing skills and the ability to use drawing as a tool to aid discussions during meetings
- Strong experience of working directly with Far East and European manufacturers
Salary & Benefits: Salary of c£50k (negotiable dependent upon experience), pension and benefits. Office based.
Applications Process: Applications via the job board and/or in writing to our retained HR & Recruitment Manager, Lorna Dane at Dane Partnership Ltd. NOTE: All APPLICATIONS WILL REQUIRE A PORTFOLIO SUBMISSION TO INCUDE SOME HAND DRAWINGS. We would love to respond to every enquiry, and we do our very best to respond to applications we would like to take forward within 2 working days, however, if you don not receive an acknowledgement or response within five working days, it must be assumed that an application has not been successful. Please send your application to email@example.com - thank you.
Buyer / Product Developer –£40,000 to £45,000 per annum + benefits
This is a further (new) opportunity for a Buyer / Product Developer to join a rapidly growing contemporary furniture and homewares brand consisting of furniture (indoor and outdoor living), lighting, accessories and more….. The company, based in Surrey, offers the best in modern, innovative, stylish collections that are always designed and manufactured with quality in mind. As a business we pride ourselves on our culture of excellence throughout and place our team at the heart of that ethos. We are passionate about our employees being our most powerful and valued asset and create a culture where people are encouraged to succeed, develop and thrive.
We are looking for a passionate Buyer / Product Developer; someone with a strong product-based background and core experience, preferably in furniture, but certainly within the retail sector. This role would suit an experienced Buyer or Product Developer looking to develop their career in a role within a company with limitless scope and vision. Placed within a successful growing business you will have the ability to be both commercial and creative.
Within the role you will report to the Department Manager and will be responsible for delivery of multiple categories; spanning but not exclusive to upholstery, cabinetry, lighting, dining and outdoor. The role is to work with the design team, taking a brief from Head of Brand, to originate, plan, develop and deliver commercial contemporary furniture and more. It’s essential in this role to have a great eye for detail and a sensitivity and understanding of commercial and aspirational design.
The Role (within assigned categories):
· Responsible for maintaining overall product / category margin. Working with designers and suppliers to maximise quality and profitability of the range. Reporting of costs at part of sign off and selection process
· Responsibility for range planning at SKU level, working with an allocated budget
· Ongoing analysis and review of range / offer within category. Keeping up to date of sales performance, identifying areas of opportunity, strengths and weaknesses across the range
· Regularly communicating and reporting NPD status to Range Manager, keeping wider team up to date at all times
· Responsible for delivering ranges to achieve key dates outlined within the critical path
· Liaising with suppliers, supported by an assistant to collate all necessary information required for sign off
· Working closely with designer to develop and edit ranges
· Effective collaboration and communication with design, technical and merchandising teams
· Ownership of the goods development process from initial concepts through to sign off and order
· Regularly presenting range edits and status to Range Manager
Within this role the key measures of success are:
· Ownership and accountability, as the buyer across multiple categories you are responsible for the delivery of assigned categories, working closely with the wider team to deliver ranges to plan and in budget
· Clear and effective communication thought, communicating effectively across teams
Skills and Experience Required:
· Relevant experience working ideally in the home / furniture sector
· Experience of communicating with Far East manufacturers and able to undertake travel to Europe and the Far East to attend trade fairs and review samples etc
· A creative mind with a keen interest and genuine passion for interiors, products and design
· Excellent communication skills; Excellent attention to detail; Commercially astute
· Ability to prioritise, multi-talk and manage projects
· Excellent time management and the ability to work to deadlines
Package: Salary up to £45k (negotiable dependent upon experience) + pension and other benefits
Applications Process: Applications online via this job board or in writing to our retained HR & Recruitment Manager, Lorna Dane at Dane Partnership Ltd. Whilst we would love to respond to every enquiry, and we do our very best to respond to applications we would like to take forward within 2 working days, if you don not receive an acknowledgement or response within five working days, it must be assumed that an application has not been successful.